- Employment Law
- Public Inquiries
- Privy Council Appeals
Ed is a seasoned employment lawyer, having previously been Head of Employment at a prestigious London firm where he was a partner for over 20 years. He acts primarily for senior employees in "David v. Goliath" litigation.
His contentious practice includes disputes over bonus payments, share options, grievance and disciplinary matters, termination of employment (to include wrongful dismissal, unfair dismissal and discrimination) and whistleblowing claims.
His non-contentious practice includes giving advice on pre-contractual negotiations, restrictive covenants, redundancies and settlement agreements.
Whilst many of his clients are directors and senior executives of financial institutions in the City of London, he has represented employees at every level, and in a variety of different sectors. Most of his work comes through personal recommendations - either from former clients, professional colleagues or employers who have crossed swords with him - as he has a reputation for championing the underdog and maximising financial settlements.
Being an occasional "gamekeeper" as well as "poacher", he also advises various employer clients, particularly in relation to staff handbooks, contracts of employment, internal grievances and disciplinary procedures.
In addition, Ed has experience of representing clients in Public Inquiries (most recently the Public Inquiry into CSA).
He also has a specialist Privy Council practice, acting for principals in Commonwealth jurisdictions.
- Acting for the Chief Compliance Officer of a major bank in an unfair dismissal claim involving LTIP and clawback provisions.
- Acting for a senior commodity trader in a claim for unfair dismissal and loss of bonus.
- Acting for a senior banker in a claim for unfair dismissal and race discrimination.
- Acting for a City trader who was summarily dismissed for trading during a closed period.
- Acting for a founding Director of a niche private company who was dismissed by a 2:1 majority of shareholders and directors.
- Acting for a senior employee of a charity in a claim for unfair dismissal and race discrimination.
- Acting for numerous senior employees in their mid-50s in claims for unfair dismissal and age discrimination.
- Defending several former Directors in a springboard injunction brought by their former employer.
- Acting for various senior clergymen in high profile cases (including: a test case challenging a mandatory retirement age; and in a Public Inquiry).
- Acting for a care worker in an unfair dismissal claim (funded by a benevolent previous employer), which counsel - now a Court of Appeal judge - described as the most satisfying case of their career at the bar.
- Acting for a domestic worker in an unfair dismissal claim against the executors of her former employer.
- Acting in two (related) Privy Council appeals concerning the occupation of land with valuable mineral rights in the Bahamas.
“Exemplary service and advice.”
"Prompt, accurate and timely advice. Other firms I had spoken to had dismissed my thoughts and suggested that there was no course of action, whereas Ed listened and we worked as a team."
- Employment Lawyers Association
Mobile: 07540 704054